Health Benefits of Swimming
We're all looking for ways we can be healthier, whether that's trying out yoga for stress relief, cooking up new healthier recipes, and attempting to find new workouts that don't feel like work. With the summer heating things up, you'll likely be drawn to water, which is why swimming is a great workout option. You can have fun in the sun and work on your health.
We break down the different health benefits of swimming, as this is a perfect workout for anyone with pool access who wants to build muscle and work on cardio while still being low-impact.Health Benefits of Swimming
- Get a full body workout. When you perform certain exercises, you may only be working your legs or your arms, but when you swim, you work your whole body. You'll tone muscles, increase your heartrate, and build endurance, and with so many different strokes, you can work all the muscles in your body in one swim session.
- Is a great workout for those with injuries or illnesses. When you injure a muscle or are dealing with a muscle spasm, it can take months for that muscle to fully heal, and for those who are focused on their health, it can be very difficult to let that time pass, knowing they'll lose all of the progress they've worked so hard for. With swimming, the water offers gentle resistance, but you don't have to worry about injuring yourself more, as it's a much more low-impact option. This is great for those with arthritis or those rehabbing from an injury and trying to get back to normal. Swimming may even help you to recover from an injury sooner than you would without adding it to your regimen.
- Burn calories quickly. Swimming even at low or medium paces is great for burning calories and quickly. The faster you swim, the more calories you burn, and the calorie level used in swimming outpaces those of traditional exercises such as yoga, walking, and even using an elliptical.
- Improve your sleep. A good cardio workout can have you collapsing into bed exhausted and enjoying a good night's sleep. This is true for any cardio, but swimming is especially good for that full body workout to really help you sleep better.
- Reduce stress and boost your mood. This is another one that's true for pretty much any type of cardio exercise. Endorphins are a powerful thing, and when you exercise, you get a burst of endorphins that help you to feel better, even if you've had a stressful day or are feeling down about something. Swimming is also just a lot of fun, making it a great choice especially during the summertime.
- Affordable. Even if you don't have a pool in your backyard, this is still an affordable option as there are many community pools that have decently priced passes, as well as community pools you may be able to use.
These health benefits of swimming probably have you ready to dive into a pool now, so don't let us stop you. Go enjoy some time in the sun!