The New Year, A Better You
Can you believe 2015 begins in less than a week?! I always use the start of a new year as an excuse to start fresh, recharge, and become the best person I can be. Here’s a list of 15 New Year’s resolutions that I’m committing to making and keeping in the new year.
- Eat Healthier// I’m not saying you should eliminate sweets from your diet. Everyone knows I can’t live without my froyo! However, adopting healthier eating habits like incorporating more fruits and veggies into your diet will make you feel good mentally, and physically.
- Live an active lifestyle// Living an active style doesn’t mean you’re required to hit the gym 3-5 times a week. Living an active style can include anything from biking to work instead of driving, taking the stairs instead of an elevator, or simply taking your dog on a walk.
- Do something you love, just for you, once a week// As a business owner, a wife, and mom of three girls, life can get pretty chaotic. With life’s craziness, I think it’s important to have an outlet outside of work and motherly duties to do something just for myself. Whether it be a quick jog around the neighborhood, or a trip to the nail salon, it’s important to get some “me-time.”
- Spend less time on social media// Bottom line: spend more time being in the present with the people around you than consumed with others virtually. Social media should be a supplement to, not the essence of our social lives.
- Be kinder to strangers// At Lime Ricki, we are strong believers in random acts of kindness. The world can easily be made a better place if we all strive to be a little kinder to the people we interact with daily.
- Stop caring what other people think of you// My biggest advice to my daughters is to stop caring what other people think of you. Be you and be happy with you – no ifs, ands, or buts! Haters are gonna hate, so surround yourself with others who are constantly building you up and who are genuinely happy for your personal successes.
- Cross (at least) one thing off of your bucket list// Don’t wait until a certain milestone in your life to start crossing things off of your bucket list. Kick start the new year the right way by doing something that you’ve always dreamt of doing. Don’t let anything or anyone stop you.
- Learn a new skill// Just because you have a degree doesn’t mean your learning has ceased. Learn a new skill or nurture existing skills. Education is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves, so keep on learning ladies!
- Strengthen friend and family relationships// My favorite thing about Christmas is the focus we have on spending time with family members. Why don’t we extend the spirit of Christmas into the new year? Call your parents once a week or send your old best friend some snail mail, it’s the little things in life that really matter.
- Overcome one of your fears// One of my favorite quotes is, “Don’t let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.” Fear is the sole thing that stifles anyone from moving forward. This year make it a goal to work on overcoming one of your fears. You’ll be amazed how liberated you’ll feel once you’ve overcome those insecurities.
- Become a better communicator// A lot of frustration with anything derives from a lack of clear communication. I’ve learned that communication can be improved if I actively work on becoming a better listener, responding to work emails in a timely manner, or articulating exactly what needs to be said.
- Explore new hobbies// I’m a firm believer in discovering new talents and participating in new hobbies. As the new year approaches think of a list of things you’ve always wanted to try, and go do it! It never hurts to try something at least once.
- Keep a journal// Document the good times and the bad. It’s amazing the things we can learn from past experiences – so keep a small journal and write down all of them throughout the year.
- Get involved in the community// As mentioned here before, it’s so easy to get involved in the community! Getting involved not only benefits others, but it helps me keep things in perspective and reminds me to be grateful for the little things in life.
- Block out daily time for meditation// With all the hustle and bustle of life, I oftentimes forget to take time to sit down and meditate. Some of my best ideas have come from just being in tune with my spirit, mind, and body. Even if it’s just five minutes a day, I highly recommend it!
So tell me, what resolutions are you committing to follow for the new year?