Our Favorite Hummus Recipe
With the holidays coming up, there are sure to be plenty of parties and there’s nothing better than to bring some homemade hummus to wow your friends. This one has been in the Lime Ricki family for a long time and it’s one of our favorites to serve at any gathering – or to whip up at home to have on hand for veggies and snacks. The hummus is a classic chickpea-lemon-garlic flavor, but the thing that really sets this recipe apart is the parsley oil you drizzle over the top at the end. So delicious!
• 4 garlic cloves
• 1 teaspoon salt
• Two 1-pound 3-ounce cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
• 2/3 cup well stirred tahini
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
• 1/2 cup olive oil, or to taste
• 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
1. On a cutting board, mince and mash the garlic to a paste along with the salt.
2. In a food processor, purée the chick-peas with the garlic paste, the tahini, the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the oil, and 1/2 cup water, scraping down the sides, until the hummus is smooth and add salt to taste. Add water, if necessary, to thin the hummus to the desired consistency and transfer to a bowl.
3. Clean the food processor and then purée the remaining 1/4 cup oil with the parsley until the oil is bright green and the parsley is minced. Transfer this parsley oil to a small jar.
4. Divide the hummus between shallow serving dishes and smooth the tops. Drizzle the hummus with the parsley oil and serve with pita bread.
The hummus and parsley oil may be made 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled in separate containers.
Looking for more recipes to get you through the holidays? Check out our yummy roasted squash soup or our coconut milk hot cocoa recipe.