The Christmas count-down is on! It’s hard to believe that the big day is less than two weeks away. We have a lot of family traditions that we still need to squeeze in. We love baking holiday treats, putting together gifts for our neighbors, watching holiday movies, and listening to our favorite Christmas music. It’s also an important time to remind my family of the true meaning of Christmas and giving back to those in need in meaningful ways.
The past several years, our family has “adopted” a few less fortunate kids whose families aren’t able to provide Christmas gifts. We have been able to spend a morning shopping with these sweet kids and helping them pick out their own Christmas presents. It’s become an important and heart-warming experience for our family, and we look forward to it each year.
I really want my kids to understand that they can make a difference in the world around them, not only during the holiday season but all year round. I know it’s not always possible for everyone to take time out of their busy lives to go do service or participate in an all-night event, but there are ways you can give back, all while getting your necessary Christmas shopping done! A lot of stores participate in “one-for-one” programs, which means they donate an item to someone in need every time you purchase an item! It’s a win-win situation, for you and yours seemingly never-ending Christmas shopping list and for others who can’t afford new things.
To double the giving this Christmas, here is a list of gifts, big and small, that give back! Happy holiday shopping!
- United by Blue // United By Blue is a company focused on ocean and waterway conservation. Starting back in 2010, for every product sold, United By Blue removes one pound of trash from oceans/waterways through company organized and hosted cleanups.
- Hand in Hand // By directly tying charitable donations to the sale of an everyday product, Hand in Hand is able to give soap to those in need and save lives without depending on a single donation. For every bar purchased, Hand in Hand will donate a bar to save a life.
- KITE // Did you know that 13 million kids in the US don’t have access to the most basic school supplies? Imagine how many kids are lacking school supplies WORLDWIDE. KITE empowers consumers to help those in need by turning basic, instruments of learning into weapons of change. Every time you purchase school supplies, KITE donates a set to someone in need.
- Warby Parker // when you buy a pair of glasses, Warby Parker gives a pair. So far, they’ve been able to donate over one million pairs of glasses to people in need!
- Krochet Kids // An online clothing website that provides careers, education and mentorship to women in Northern Uganda and Peru in an effort to take their families out of poverty. Every product purchased allows the site to continue creating a sustainable product.
- West Elm // West Elm collaborates with over 20 artisan groups in over 15 different countries with committing to pay $35 million directly back to artisans. If you click on the “handcrafted” tab at the top of their site, each of these items are made by artisans who “are women who are learning new skills, supporting their families, and empowering themselves through the work they’re doing.”
- fashionABLE // any purchase of a fashionABLE product creates sustainable businesses in Africa. Not only does fashionABLE work with African women to help them start small businesses, but they also require manufacturers to employ women with fair wages and hiring practices.
- TOMS // in alignment with their “One for One” campaign, for every pair of shoes you purchase, TOMS donates a pair of shoes to someone in need.
So tell me, what are your favorite family Christmas traditions that involve giving back?!
PS – if you’re ever looking for easy ways to give back all year round, check out this post about getting involved in your community without really trying!