Even though we’re dying for it to be swimsuit season already, the weather around our home base of Salt Lake City has other plans. Most mornings, it’s still been warm enough to curl up with a book and a cup of cocoa, so that’s what we’re going to keep doing – but we can put a summery twist on that cup of hot chocolate. Instead of always going back to the same old recipe, this time, we’re substituting coconut milk and it’s quite delicious. So throw out your canned hot chocolate mixes and commit to whipping up this easy coconut milk hot cocoa. You won’t regret it.
This recipe calls for the coconut milk beverage you find in the dairy aisle of your supermarket, not the canned kind, so make a note of that on your list when you head to the store. Mix in some sugar, choose between dark or regular cocoa powder, and finish it off with a pinch of cinnamon for a yummy treat you’ll be craving on every chilly day.
Makes two servings
• 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (refrigerated, in the dairy aisle)
• 1/8 cup cocoa powder
• 1/8 cup organic sugar
• 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1. Warm coconut milk over medium-low heat in a small sauce pan.
2. Whisk in cocoa powder, sugar, and cinnamon. Keep whisking until all the lumps blend into the milk.
3. Continue to warm until heated through and serve with a scoop of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
Delicious, don’t you think? Now the only question is, what book will you crack open while you enjoy a steaming mug of this cocoa? If you need ideas, we’ve got quite a few on our Top 10 Books to Read in 2018 list (Little Fires Everywhere, The Woman in Cabin 10, and Turtles All The Way Down just to name a few).